Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a refer-a-friend program?
- Why should I use a refer-a-friend program for my business?
- How does Friendvites work?
- Who is Friendvites for?
- Where is Friendvites available?
- How does the 30-day free trial work?
- How long does it take to set up Friendvites?
- Can I use Friendvites with my Shopify, SquareSpace, or other ecommerce platform?
- Will Friendvites affect my page load time?
- What offers can be given out to the referrer and their referred friends?
- What is a campaign?
- How do I create a campaign?
- How does Friendvites notify me of referral actions?
- Where can users share their referrals?
- How do I pause/stop my campaign?
- How do rewards get implemented?
- Will I need to modify my site's code to use Friendvites?
- Do I need to be a programmer to add Friendvites to my site?
- How do the Pricing Plans work?
- What happens if I go over my monthly referral number?
- Can I remove the “Powered by Friendvites” branding?
- How is billing and payment handled?
- How do I make the most out of Friendvites?
- I have more questions, what should I do?
- I have a feature I'd like to see incorporated, can I request it?
What is a refer-a-friend program?
Simply put, a refer-a-friend program is a way to reward your happy customers when they share your site with their friends. You're also able to offer rewards to their friends whey they visit your site.
Why should I use a refer-a-friend program for my business?
"People are 4 times more likely to buy when referred by a friend." – The Nielsen Company
Refer-a-Friend programs help you get new users by turning your already happy customers into brand advocates. It's one of the most powerful marketing channels because people trust the opinions of their friends and family.
How does Friendvites work?
Friendvites helps you set up your refer-a-friend program in minutes. Choose your pricing package, install the API, and create your 1st custom referral campaign - it's really that easy! Your happy customers then become brand ambassadors by sharing with their friends, and growing your business. Automated campaign tracking is done through your Friendvites dashboard.
Who is Friendvites for?
Friendvites is for both B2B and B2C companies involved with E-Commerce that are looking to reward their existing customers for referring new customers.
Where is Friendvites available?
Friendvites is available to businesses based in the US, Canada, Australia, Ireland, and the UK.
How does the 30-day free trial work?
If you cancel your plan within 30 days of signing up you won't be charged. If you do choose to cancel your account after 30 days, you are responsible for charges incurred up until your cancellation. Refunds will not be issued once a 30 day trial is expired and we don't pro-rate for partial months.
How long does it take to set up Friendvites?
Account signup, campaign creation, and benefit creation takes less than 5 minutes for developers to implement.
Can I use Friendvites with my Shopify, SquareSpace, or other ecommerce platform?
Currently, using Friendvites to it's full potential requires you (or your developer) to be able to make server-side edits to your site in a language like PHP, Ruby, Python, etc. Because most site-builders don't allow you to make server-side edits, Friendvites may not be compatible with your specific site-builder. If you're not sure if your site-builder supports server-side edits, we recommend that you contact the support team for your site-builder.
Will Friendvites affect my page load time?
What offers can be given out to the referrer and their referred friends?
You can create single-sided (incentive for referrer only), or double-sided (incentive for both referrer and new referral customer).
Here are some examples of offers to help you create your referral program:
- Flat Discount (ie: $10 off next purchase)
- Percentage Discount (ie: 25% off your booking)
- Contest Entry (Reward your top referrers during a certain period of time)
- Good Karma (Let your happy customers spread the word about how great your company is, without offering an incentive)
What is a campaign?
Campaigns group together a URL to promote, specific messages and specific benefits. Once you have an camapign marked as "active", using your key to activate the Friendvites referral popup, using the promoted url and messages for that specific campaign.
How do I create a campaign?
In your Friendvites dashboard:
- Click the "Add Benefit" link in the "Benefits" seciton. Fill out the Description, Kind, Discount Amount, and select who the benefit applies to (Referrer, Receiver, or both).
- Add your action URL (used for Facebook), and Benefit Message which will be populated in Emails and Social Sites when your Referrer shares the message.
How does Friendvites notify me of referral actions?
Referral statistics pertaining to your account are displayed on the dashboard.
Where can users share their referrals?
Users can share their referrals via Email, Facebook, and Twitter.
How do I pause/stop my campaign?
You can pause or stop a live campaign by marking it “inactive” in the settings for that campaign.
How do rewards get implemented?
You can fulfill customer rewards using the Friendvites API. We track who referred each customer and who signs up from that referral. For example, if user "email@example.com" shares referral info with their friends, we track how they shared the info, how many people they shared their info with (if shared via email), and any benefits that parties should receive. When a friend completes the referral's action and triggers a redemption, an api call will need to be made to see what benefit, if any, should be applied to the referrer and/or referral recipient. Friendvites does not handle applying discounts.
Will I need to modify my site's code to use Friendvites?
Yes, you will need to be able to edit your site's HTML to add a Friendvites popup or an iframe. To take full advantage of Friendvites referrals, you will need to modify some of your backend code to parse URL parameters and make API calls.
Do I need to be a programmer to add Friendvites to my site?
Adding Friendvites to your site will require some basic knowledge of HTML to know where to place the Friendvites scripts and button.
Incorporating Friendvites into your site in more advanced ways, such as parsing URL parameters and API calls, will require some development and programming knowledge. The Docs are available for those who want to dig deeper into their code.
How do the Pricing Plans work?
You will be charged based on the total number of referrals sent per month. For example, if a Referrer shares by Email, Facebook, and Twitter, that would count as 3 referrals.
Upgrades to your plan will take effect immediately, resulting in a higher referral limit for that month. If you decide to downgrade your plan mid-month, that month will still be charged at the higher plan amount and your plan change will take place the following month (i.e. Downgrading your plan in mid-June will not take effect until July).
What happens if I go over my monthly referral number?
You will be charged $0.20 for each referral over your contracted limit. We will notify you via email when you are getting close to reaching your limit to give you the option of upgrading your pricing plan.
Can I remove the “Powered by Friendvites” branding?
Deluxe and Pro accounts have the option to remove the “Powered by Friendvites” branding.
How is billing and payment handled?
Billing occurs on the 10th day, or next business day, of every month. Billing is for the previous month and will include any overages and/or reflect plan upgrades.
Payments are handled through Stripe.
How do I make the most out of Friendvites?
Here's a few tips on creating a successful referral marketing program:
- Give out great benefits. Everyone loves a deal!
- Choose a double-sided incentive. This helps motivate your customers to share your program, and increases the chance their friends will engage with the offer.
- Clear message and call-to-action. Make sure your customers understand the benefits they'll receive when referring friends, and their friends understand why they should be interested in your company.
- More visibility means more referrals—it's that simple! Add your refer-a-friend program to your website (top navigation, product pages, customer accounts, confirmation pages, etc). And don't forget to utilize your emails and newsletters by adding in a referral marketing link.
I have more questions, what should I do?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll help you out.
I have a feature I'd like to see incorporated, can I request it?
Sure! You can send requests for features to email@example.com.